Willamette MBA

Conversing about world class management education.

Fall Semester 2011 Highlights

Students wrapped up the fall 2011 semester at the Atkinson Graduate School of Management in mid December. Many of us are using our time away from classes to enjoy the holidays, looks for jobs or internships and re-energize for spring 2012.

Considering my first semester as an MBA student, the highlight was PACE which stands for Practical Application for Careers & Enterprises. PACE is a core course where students work in teams to consult for not-for-profit and government organizations. I had the privilege of working with seven other students to consult for a not-for-profit agency in Chicago, IL.

Our team after our first PACE presentation

My team was given the opportunity to create management training modules for our client to use on a monthly basis. This experience was both challenging and rewarding. This was the first time I had been on a team with other students from a number of places around the globe. Learning how to work through cultural difference and communicate effectively are skills the MBA program helped me to learn. Developing these skills made it easier for my team to work together to conduct research and create the training modules for our client.

My team will continue to work together when spring semester begins. I look forward to continuing PACE as we maintain our relationship with our client and also begin an entrepreneurial venture!