Web Log Policy and Service Guidelines
Willamette Integrated Technology Services (WITS) provides web log or blog services in support of scholarly, curricular, extra-curricular and personal communications conducted by members of the University community.
- The blog service is made available to any current faculty, student or staff member of Willamette University and any guests sponsored by a faculty or staff member.
- This service is provided at no cost to eligible users.
- The University will provide access to the blog service by blog authors as long as they have active Willamette University network accounts.
- Use of the blog service and the content of all electronic pages are subject to all applicable Willamette University policies and local, state and federal laws. These policies include but are not limited to:
- Willamette University resources may not be used to create web pages primarily for personal business or personal gain, except as permitted by other University policies.
- All material posted on the blog service must be in compliance with copyright law. Authors have the responsibility of acquiring all necessary permissions to post copyrighted material.
- The selling of online advertising space to non-University entities on any web page hosted or sponsored by Willamette University is strictly forbidden.
- A web page may be considered in violation of content policies if it contains links to pages that violate the policy.
- The following statement must appear on all pages created through the University’s blog service, unless the pages were explicitly approved for official University business: “The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s). The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by Willamette University.”
- The copyright and all related rights to original work posted via the blog service are owned by and are the sole responsibility of its author(s). The blog service provides a mechanism through which a blog author may license the content of his or her blog through a Creative Commons license.
- Willamette University may establish limits regarding the use of the blog service and may modify these limits at any time. This includes but is not limited to the total size of the blog content, the size of images, videos, software or other material posted to a blog.
- Willamette University reserves the right to require users of the blog service to utilize University approved templates for all hosted pages.
- Willamette University intends to archive the content of all blogs in the blog service for non-commercial, historical purposes. By using the blog service, authors grant Willamette University non-exclusive rights to archive blog content in any format.
- Willamette University offers the blog service at the author’s own risk. The blog service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The University does not guarantee that it will provide ancillary software, such as databases and script languages, that authors may wish to use in their blogs.
- Willamette University reserves the right to remove, at any time, at its sole discretion, any content posted on the blog service that it deems in violation of University policy or local, state or federal law.
- Willamette University reserves the right to change, at any time, at its sole discretion, the provisions of the blog service.