September 2005
    « Mar   Oct »
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    252627282930  

Marlene Molina

Hola a todos. My name is Marlene Molina. I am the Spanish language Assistant this year. I am 28 and I teach English in a farming school in Chile. This wonderful country is long and narrow; it borders Peru and Bolivia in the north and Argentina in the east. But I am not going to write about something that maybe you already know. I decided to write about a place that you are going to love if you someday go there. This place is called Isla de Pascua. Easter Island is one of the most important oceanic islands of Chile. It is a volcanic island located to the south of the Pacific Ocean. The island has 3,800 inhabitants approximately. People speak Rapanui and Spanish. Easter Island is over 2,000 miles from the nearest population center, (Chile and Tahiti), making it one of the most isolated places on Earth. It is essentially a triangle of volcanic rock in the South Pacific. It is best known for the giant stone monoliths, known as Moai, (the one that is next to me in the picture), that dot the coastline. The early settlers called the island “Te Pito O Te Henua” (Navel of The World). Admiral Roggeveen, who came upon the island on Easter Day in 1722, named it Easter Island. Today, the land, people and language are all referred to locally as Rapa Nui. Easter Island today, remains one of the most unique places you will ever encounter; an open air museum showcasing a fascinating, but unfortunately lost, culture. The Rapanui are among the friendliest people you will ever meet, and the landscape is truly amazing: volcanic craters, lava formations, beaches, brilliant blue water, and incredible archaeological sites.