September 2006
    « Mar   Oct »
     12
    3456789
    10111213141516
    17181920212223
    24252627282930

Ella (UK, Hong Kong)

Ella-Uk.jpg
My name is Ella and I’ll be your friendly UK/HK correspondent type-thing for a WHOLE semester. How exciting! I lived the first half of my life in the bustling city of Hong Kong (Chinese for, ironically enough, “fragrant harbour” – that’s with a u, people) and moved to Cambridge, the finest university town in all of England in 1997.

Situated on the South East coast of China, Hong Kong is the third most densely populated place in the world and has delicious seafood. Often described as “a place where East meets West” (much like WU), it was a British colony from 1842 until 1997 when sovereignty was returned to the PRC. It is now a special administrative region of China, operating under Deng Xiaoping’s “One country, two systems” policy. Essentially, HK will retain its legal system, currency and immigration laws, amongst other things for 50 years after the handover. Because of its complicated history and the current state of affairs in China, there is much uncertainty over how much autonomy the PRC will give to HK.

England is exactly like a Shakespeare play. Exactly. It therefore needs no introduction.

I hope the articles I find on both Hong Kong and the UK will keep you (and me) in touch with what’s going on.

Cuddles,
Ella