Hello Willamette Community

rafael copy.jpg
I am Rafael Cocios from Ecuador. I am a lawyer and I recently arrived to Willamette University College of Law in pursuit of a Masters Degree in Transnational Law. In 2000, while I was attending eleventh grade at American School of Quito, I was chosen to represent my country, Ecuador, in the Global Young Leadership Conference, to be held in Washington D.C. and New York. This journey influenced my life positively because I had the opportunity to share knowledge and experiences with students from different countries, races, and cultures. In this Conference we analyzed international politics, finance, culture and diplomacy with key world leaders and news makers. Also, we had the opportunity to discuss international issues like terrorism, drug trafficking, and global warming among others. We participated actively in the resolution of conflicts and learned techniques for negotiation and arbitration. Furthermore, in this Summit we explored international law, human rights and national security issues. Before the end of this event, we went to the United Nations Headquarters and assumed rolls of world leaders in several international crisis simulations. It was in that congress when I realized that it is necessary to cross cultural barriers in order to achieve conclusions that benefit everyone. The future of the global community depends on suitable relationships between different countries. So here I am again, studying for a Masters Degree that will provide me with the necessary learning to face a more competitive and modernized world.

I want you to know something about Ecuador. It is a small but beautiful country located in South America, right on the Equator line and crossed by the Andes mountain range. Ecuador has four main regions: the Andes Mountains, the Pacific Coast, the Amazon Basin and the Galapagos Islands. This country has more animals and plants species per square kilometer than any other country in the entire world. Galapagos Islands are part of the World’s Natural Heritage, while Quito, Ecuador’s capital, was the first city to be declared a Cultural Patrimony of Humankind. Visit Ecuador and discover life at its purest! By the way, Willamette has some off-campus study programs in Ecuador so if you are interested to know more details about my country or want to learn some Spanish, don’t hesitate to contact me: rcociosn@willamette.edu
-Rafael Cocios
videoclip