Back home: culture shock?!

monicachile.jpg
The term culture shock describes the anxiety produced when a person moves to a completely new environment. This term expresses the lack of direction, the feeling of not knowing what to do or how to do things in a new environment, and not knowing what is appropriate or inappropriate. The feeling of culture shock generally sets in after the first few weeks of coming to a new place.

Most of the people that came here with me in August experienced this feeling at some point, all of us in different ways. The strange thing that happened to me was that after the break, when I came back, I felt like I was home! Yes, home in the foreign country that I’m living until May! This is really weird and I feel that maybe in May I will experience a strong culture shock in my home country, in my real home.
Coming back was a really good feeling. To feel like I’m home makes everything easier; you appreciate more the good things that you have been going through and you also better understand the bad ones.
I noticed a lot of different culture shock feelings at the beginning, but the better or most important one to me was that finally it feels like home, a feeling that I was hoping to have at some point of my stay in the United States.