February 2009
    « Jan   Mar »
    1234567
    891011121314
    15161718192021
    22232425262728

La Saint Valentin

simon.jpg
I’m not a big fan of Valentine’s Day but I’ll try to present how this event is celebrated in France objectively. There are many theories about its origin, but if you want to learn more about this, here is a useful link:

http://www.stvalentinesday.org/valentines-day-in-france.html
It is also said that some relics of Saint Valentine lay in south of France in Roquemaure since 1868.
I think it’s still a recent phenomena and it’s far more popular among young couples than old couples. People who attach importance to it go to restaurants for romantic dinners, give presents to each other and re-assess their everlasting love to each other. On the other hand, there are many people for whom Valentine’s Day is a commercial event (a bit like Halloween) and they refuse having to follow the rules of conformism. Of course you can see how shops try to take advantage of it by advertising or designing everything with hearts, but I have the impression that it’s less of a big deal than here. I went to a shop yesterday and it was literally all covered with red and pink balloons. I don’t think I could see that in France and single people most of the time don’t bother looking for a Valentine, they just spend their days saying how ridiculous it is to feel compelled to be nice towards the loved one just because of consumer society.
I have selected a few videos related to Valentine’s Day I found entertaining.
Here is a video that Romeos-to-be might find interesting in order to get the best pieces of advice to be the perfect Valentine:

And here is a very realistic video from a French sitcom that was very popular a few years ago ‘Un Gars une Fille.’ Let’s see how Chouchou and Loulou ‘s Valentine’s dinner looks like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9zN09j82ow&feature=player_embedded

Finally, I never get tired of our friends from Quebec ‘Les Têtes a Claque’ and I found this funny video mocking the pseudo-Romanticism of Valentine dates:

I hope you enjoy and Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone!