September 2009
    « May   Oct »
     12345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    27282930  

Greeting from Sweden

martina.jpg
My name is Martina Eriksson and I was born and raised in a very small town in the south of Sweden, called Olofström. After high school I studied art and the English language for a couple of years and when I was 21 I decided to apply to a university in Sweden. In June this year I graduated with a bachelor in Cultural Leadership, with a major in film studies from the university of Växjö. Even as a freshmen I planned on making my dream of going to the Us for a year come true.

In the pictures you can see Växjö University and the castle the resides on it’s campus.
But it was only after I graduated that I got the opportunity do just that.
Because I am no longer a fulltime student at program in Sweden I didn’t have any restrictions when choosing the classes for this term and the same will apply for next year. Right now I am taking classes in Yoga, Scene design, Documentary, Ancient Religions and Shakespeare. It’s all very interesting although the United states education system is very different to what I’m use to. I think that the only way to truly experience a foreign country is to stay there for more than 2 months.
bilder_pa_campus1.jpg
My goal with all these years of studying is to one day become a video editor and therefore I’ll probably continue my studies in Sweden when I’m back home. Or who knows maybe another country. Before I came to Oregon I had been in the United States twice. One time for brief vacation and another time this year when I did an internship in Hudson, NY. I worked for Columbia Country Council on the Arts and learned a lot about the non-for profits and the American culture while I was staying with an American woman in the little town of Valatie.
I’m looking forward to learning more about the US but also to be able to pass some Swedish knowledge on to whoever reads this blog.