December 2009
    « Nov   Feb »
     12345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    2728293031  

Famous Swedish people

martina.jpg
A while ago I had a film class in Sweden where my teacher asked the American students in the class if they knew who Stellan Skarsgård was? Everyone said no. This is when we all realized that people in other countries don’t always know about the celebrities in your country. They might have seen the person but that doesn’t mean they actually are interested in knowing more about them. This is also true for me. I don’t know anyone famous from Germany or Kina. But I’d like to. So I am therefore going to educate you a little bit about the Swedish people you might know or might not know about.

One of our most famous actors is named Stellan Skarsgård. You might have seen him as Orlando Bloom’s father in Pirates of the Caribbean, the barbarian in King Arthur, and one of the fathers in Mama Mia. He now lives in the U.S. regularly and has been in other movies like Angels & Demons, Good Will Hunting, Amistad, Beowulf & Grendel and is currently making the movie Thor with Natalie Portman. If you don’t recognize him you might know his son, Alexander Skarsgård, who is currently playing the lead character, Eric Northman, in the hit television show True Blood.

tumblr_ksybibnfEi1qaqvheo1_500.jpg
Another male actor that is very well known is Peter Stormare. He played the Russian man in the space station in Armageddon and the Swedish-speaking eye doctor that takes care of Tom Cruise in Minority Report. And Max von Sydow is in the new movie Shutter island. These are all actors that are usually cast with some kind of accent, be it Swedish or Russian.
But we also have actresses who are famous. Ingrid Bergman was the lead actress in Casablanca and Malin Akerman has been in The Proposal and Watchmen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upf5MLD5J7M
Other famous Swedes include Victoria Silverstedt 1997’s Playmate of the Year, Alfred Nobel (the Nobel prize), Ingmar Bergman (director), Astrid Lindgren (Children’s author) and Anders Celsius (astronomer).
There are also a lot of well known bands from Sweden. They include ABBA, The Hives, Jens Lekman, The Cardigans and Ace of Base.
And last but not least the Swedish chief in the Muppets who definitely did not speak a word of Swedish as far as I can tell.

I hope you all learned something from this and I will do my best to learn more about other countries in the future.