Animals you can’t see in Chile

pablo.jpg
The first animal that comes to my mind when I think of Oregon is not a beaver, but a squirrel. In Chile we have many types of rodents, some friendly looking like the Coipo (a type of beaver) and others not so friendly, including something that could have perfectly have inspired the R.O.U.S. from Princess Bride. (They are not very common, almost like a urban myth these days.) Nevertheless, we don’t have squirrels. I don’t know what it is that is so fantastic about these little furry tailed animals, but for some reason, they bring a smile on my face every time I see one. The other animals that you can’t see in Chile are raccoons. Up until I arrived to the U.S. I had the impression that they were just little friendly and fussy loving animals- now I know better.

Woodpeckers are amongst my favorite birds in the area, their beautiful colors and charming but sometimes annoying peck, are a few characteristics that make them quite special. Now that I’m thinking about birds, I’d never seen a crow before I came here; sometimes they still scare me, especially when I think about the idea that a group of crows is called a “murder of crows.” The other animal species that we don’t have in Chile are moles. I really don’t know why, but after being here for some time, I’m quite happy about it. Of course, small animals are not the only kind of animals that we don’t have in Chile, the other animals that so far I have only seen in a zoo (and I expect to keep it that way) are bears. Bears, at least Grizzly Bears, are an endangered species now in Oregon, so they are really hard to see. Bears are one of those magnificent animals that I would love to have in Chile, but unfortunately you can only see them at a zoo.
Now, when we look at a wider spectrum and we consider animals across the United States that we don’t have in Chile, the list becomes much, much larger. Just to name a few we have: moose, bison, coyotes, buffalo and alligators.