Aussie Aussie Aussie – Oi Oi Oi!

Rachel2.jpg
G’day, my name is Rachel & I’m from Perth, Western Australia. I feel so fortunate to have been given the opportunity to study abroad at Willamette over the next year. I am the first student ever to come here from the University of Western Australia! Although this is my 5th visit to the US, this is my first time to Oregon. Everything is new, unfamiliar and exciting. And while it’s intense, I’m absolutely loving it. I’m enjoying the classes, the campus culture, the greenery, the food, the community, the resources, the activities and the people. But most of all I’m just enjoying being here – I am learning so much and I really appreciate the opportunity to experience the unique cultural microcosm here at Willamette. But I am also very excited and passionate to share my culture as well.

So what does that entail? Well, for a start I look forward to sharing Australian football. It’s not American or English football, its a whole other league – see www.afl.com.au. There is also the famous Aussie BBQ, Australia Day celebrations on Jan 26th, the amazing wildlife, the iconic landmarks, the beautiful beaches, the recent election results, the hilarious comedians, the talented musicians and so, so, so much more. And I’m sure each one of you reading this could share something interesting about your culture with me too.
So if you see me around, please feel free to say “G’day.” I’d love to answer any questions about my country, culture or university (no, Australia is not covered with poisonous animals. It is possible to return from a holiday there with all your limbs intact!!). Or if you want to share an aspect of your culture with me, I would love to talk to you.
Hoo-Roo for now.