October 2010
    « May   Nov »
     12
    3456789
    10111213141516
    17181920212223
    24252627282930
    31  

My first foreign experience

Andisiwe.jpg
Hello everyone.
My name is Andisiwe Mthatyana. I am an exchange student from South Africa (Rhodes University). I am only here at Willamette University for fall semester (2010). So far my experience has been good and I really wish I could extend my stay here. Leaving Rhodes University for Willamette University has been a great experience for me because I found my self in a different world with different people, different cultures, food, vegetation, languages and many more. At the same time I see some similarities between my country and the United States.

Sometimes I feel like I’m dreaming, being in a college that has many people from all over there world and where English and Spanish are the dominant languages while back a home we have eleven dominant languages. My university is located in the province of the Eastern Cape and it is well known for diversity, its National Arts Festival, its Science Festival and many other things. So far, I like the squirrels that I see around campus. I am still trying to understand the difference in measurement system (e.g. from kilometers to miles, from milliliters to ounce etc) and I must say, going to Portland was one of my best experiences in Oregon!