September 2011
    « May   Oct »
     123
    45678910
    11121314151617
    18192021222324
    252627282930  

Hola Willamette! Boas tardes!

My name is Alba de Béjar and I’m one of the the two Language Assistants of Spanish at Willamette this year. I’m at Willamette thanks to the Fulbright FLTA program that, every year, sponsors teaching assistants from different countries all over the world to come and share their culture and experiences with students in the United States.

I come from a region in the northwest of Spain called Galicia, known for its ’somewhat’ rainy weather, its great food, and beautiful coastline. My hometown is O Porriño, a little village of about 16.000 inhabitants a mere 50km from the frontier with Northern Portugal, where I’ve lead a quiet life with many a chance to hang around with friends and family, play local sports and enjoy the pleasures of a small community. This, in a way, makes my hometown similar to Salem, if slightly smaller in proportions. Back at home I’m working towards the completion of my PhD dissertation in the field of Postcolonial and Feminist Studies while teaching English language and literature at the University of Vigo, where I’ve studied ever since I was 18.
My mother languages are Spanish and Galician, but I can also speak English and Portuguese, and I’m presently working towards improving my Chinese here at Willamette.

Panoramica de Malpica, A Coruña

I’m really glad to be here this year and have a chance to share with you all some of my impressions about my own culture and country, but also about life in the US and Salem. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the year here at Willamette. Hasta pronto!!