September 2012
    « Apr   Oct »
     1
    2345678
    9101112131415
    16171819202122
    23242526272829
    30  

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone! My name is Dominik Gutsche (23) and I am from Heidelberg, which is approximately of the same size as Salem. Originally, I come from a neat little town near Dresden in eastern Germany. I am convinced that this is one of the most beautiful regions in Germany and I really love the people and the countryside there.

But you might wonder why I am at Willamette. After high school, I decided to do my civil service abroad driven by the curiosity to dive into a completely different culture and this led me to the wonderful country of South Africa. There, I had a great time and got to know many inspiring and friendly people. Furthermore, I grew to love the English language uniting so many diverse cultures not only in South Africa, but all over the world. That’s why I wanted to study English and Religious Studies in order to become a teacher. Back in Germany, I started my studies in Jena and later transferred to Heidelberg University. As soon as I knew that I was going to spend a year in the States I chose Oregon and the Willamette University. As it turned out, this was absolutely the perfect decision. In fact, I was astonished by Oregon’s various and magnificent countryside. What I really like about Willamette University is its small size, the diverse activities and the friendly people.

My hobbies are mountain biking, skiing (still improvable) … and I am generally interested in all kind of things, may it be religion, science, people’s life stories or a nice evening at the pub. If you have questions about Germany, me or any other thing, I am looking forward to seeing you.

Below, you find a short clip that might give you an idea what Heidelberg is like. Actually, there is even an old(fashioned) German song saying, “I lost my heart in Heidelberg”. But make up your own mind about it: