September 2012
    « Apr   Oct »
     1
    2345678
    9101112131415
    16171819202122
    23242526272829
    30  

Salaam, Willamette!

Salaam Willamette!

My name is Noor Amr and I moved from Cairo, Egypt last fall to join the wonderful class of 2015 here at Willamette! English and Arabic are my mother tongues, but I am currently learning French, giving me the wonderful privilege of being the French Liaison at the Language Learning Center. Being a full-time international student has been and will continue to be a unique and fulfilling experience.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a global nomad, which can be explained by the constant global change in my life. I was born in Italy and moved to New York shortly thereafter. At the age of five, I moved back “home” to Egypt and lived there all through elementary, middle, and high school.

The Egyptian revolution erupted in January of my senior year, however, causing a large portion of my international school to evacuate all over the world. This included some of my teachers, and there was a possibility that my class was not going to graduate. Fortunately, everyone returned by May and we graduated at the Pyramids together!

I’m currently pursuing a Philosophy major (and deciding on my double major), where I find that knowing different languages is extremely useful! If you ever want to discuss Philosophy, language learning, or Egyptian culture, don’t hesitate to ask!