Allerheiligen in Germany

In this entry, I will write about the All Saints Day in Germany. I have to admit that I’m not really well connected to this topic because I’m not deeply religious but I will try to explain it anyway.

The All Saints Day is a religious and legal holiday on the 1st of November, but only in 6 out of 16 Bundesländer (states)–Rheinland-Pfalz (“Rhineland-Palatinate”), Baden-Württemberg, Bayern (“Bavaria”), Nordrhein-Westfalen (“North Rhine-Westphalia”) and Saarland. That means in these 6 states, all shops, schools, universities and offices are closed and the (religious) Catholics go to the church to remember the Saints. This includes not only all “official” canonized Saints but also people who you think are holy or are worth remembering (e.g. relatives) on this special day. This day is more a practical invention because in the course of the time, they were so many canonized Saints and days to remember that you just can’t remember all of them. After the mass in the church, the people walk in a ceremony to the cemetery where they bless the graves with holy water and decorate them with candles. In Mainz, they use a special candle (Newweling) for it.

Newwelinge

I can’t really say more about the ceremony because I never participated in a ceremony for the All Saints Day. That’s because I’m not very religious (like I already mentioned) but also because I don’t need a “special” day to remember my dead relatives and friends. I do it in my daily life when I see pictures or things they liked; when I listen to songs I connect with them or just when I talk about them.

I’m very sorry that I can’t say more about this day but you see, everybody is different and has their own way to remember the dead.