Привет!

Привет, dear friends!

My name is Anastasia and I have the privilege of being the Russian Language Assistant this year and joining you in Willamette World News. Although I grew up in America, I remain a native Russian speaker. My family migrated from Russia when I was ten months old, and since then Russian has been the primary language in our home. We watch Russian television, listen to a lot of Russian music (ask me if you want suggestions!), and observe many Russian traditions (especially the fun ones!).

Most of my relatives remain in Russia and we travel there every year or so—mostly to the beautiful city of St. Petersburg, but also to surrounding regions. We mainly visit in the summer and, unlike common opinion, it doesn’t snow and there are no polar bears strolling around—on the contrary, it can get quite hot!

This year I am a sophomore at Willamette and currently hold the position of Minister of Propaganda of Russian Club, so I encourage you all to please join us! Meetings are every Wednesday at 8:00 PM in the World Languages Studio (on the first floor of Ford). We will be planning movie nights, game-and-tea nights, and cultural events! No knowledge of Russian is needed – everyone interested in learning more about the Russian Culture is invited!

I am delighted to meet you all!

(Below is a picture taken in St. Petersburg, with the Neva River and Hermitage Museum [Winter Palace] in the background!)