Art Made in Austria

Gustav Klimt, a well-known symbolist painter, once said, “Art is a line around your thoughts.” Perhaps most of you are familiar with his most popular painting “The Kiss,” but did you also know that he was born in Austria?In this article,I would like to introduce you to some of my favorite Austrian artists and their work.I’m not very knowledgeable in the arts or art history because art has never been an important part of my education

The Kiss, Gustav Klimt

But I do believe that everyone can enjoy art and can have their favorite piece without having extensive background knowledge.

So let me start with Gustav Klimt. I have been to an exhibition of his paintings, and I really like his paintings because of their colorful mixture of abstract ornaments and realistic portraits.

Adele Bloch-Bauer I, Gustav Klimt

Appletree, Gustav Klimt

If you are interesting in seeing his art work, you should definitely go to the Belvedere, a beautiful Baroque palace complex in Vienna, where you can visit 24 oil paintings (including “The Kiss”).

Another painter and architect whose work I really love is Friedrich Stowasser (better known by his pseudonym Friedensreich Hundertwasser). He is best known for his colorful and eccentric architecture. Hundertwasser hated straight lines and included many extraordinary features in his work like planted roofs, bright colors, uneven floors, and much more.

Hundertwasser house in Vienna

So here’s a challenge: Look at this picture and guess what this building is used for!

Move the cursor over the picture to see the solution.

Would you have ever imagined this?

His buildings can be found in many places all over the world (if you don’t want to cross the pond to experience his art, you should visit the Quixote Winery in Napa, CA – the only Hundertwasser building in the US!).

Quixote Winery, Napa

This summer I actually visited the Hundertwasser Museum in Vienna, and I would recommend visiting there if you are in the area.

He also designed a thermal bath (Rogner Bad Blumau – Hundertwasser Therme), which is located relatively close to Graz. I would love to relax there because of the special atmosphere.

Hundertwasser thermal spa & hotel – Bad Blumau, Austria

Last but not least, I would like to mention some great pieces of architecture located in my university city of Graz.

The Art Museum has a special shape, and since its opening in 2003, it is one of the best known architectonical landmarks of Graz. It has been given the nickname “friendly alien,” and it shows its beauty by night with its illuminated facade.

Museum of Art, Graz

Right next to the Art Museum you will find the Mur Island, which is situated right in the middle of the Mur River. It was designed by a New York artist and is shaped like a sea shell. I really like going there to enjoy a sunny summer day in the incorporated café.

Mur Island, Graz

So, these are only a few examples of art that I personally enjoy, but I would personally love to learn more about art in Austria and around the world if given the opportunity!