Adios Willamette!

While I was in Bolivia, I “knew” the United States through the movies and the news. I had an image of a very violent place where anybody can have a gun, a place with many drug users and drug dealers, and place with a high level of promiscuity of its youth; consequently, it was not in my plans to come to the U.S. , instead I always wanted to go to Europe or Australia.

Twelve years ago, my dream to go to Europe became a reality; I went there, and I lived in Germany for two beautiful years. Unfortunately, I could not stay there any longer because of the loss of my German fiancée by a car accident (it was very painful to remain in Germany without her). Then, ten years ago, in my way back to Bolivia from Frankfurt, I stopped in Chicago and Miami for three weeks. The United States that I “knew” in Bolivia from the movies and the news I realized were very different, in fact, I felt safer in Miami than in some Bolivian cities (La Paz, Cochabamba or Santa Cruz). While staying in Miami, I decided to pursue a MBA degree in the U.S. (at that time I had already a Bachelor’s degree in Economics). After those three weeks, I continued my trip to Bolivia. I stayed in my country for a month making arrangements for my next trip to the U.S.
In the U.S., I lived in Illinois (Champaign and Urbana) for the first five years; there I made many friends with whom I traveled for many states in the East and the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, and Washington D.C). I was very lucky to have English instructors who were very kind and helpful. I adapted easily to my new environment. Now, I feel at home here in the U.S.
In 2008 I was accepted to the Masters in Spanish program at the University of Oregon. In August of that year I came driving from Illinois to Oregon, it took me three days to reach my destination, but I enjoyed the scenery of the states that I passed by (Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and North of Nevada).
In 2010, I moved to Salem, here I started working as a free-lance medical/legal interpreter; private Spanish instructor for health professionals and attorneys; and private Instructor of algebra, calculus, finance, statistics and Spanish for middle and high school students, as well as, college students.
While in Oregon, I visited almost all corners of this beautiful state, during this time I went also to Seattle, Hawaii, Las Vegas, and North of California.
Here some pictures of my life in the U.S.

Portland, Oregon

Mt. Angel

Redwood Park (North of California)

Chicago

Hawaii

Las Vegas