Grüße aus dem Norden

Hallo,

my name is Karoline Gotchel and I am very glad to be your German language assistant for this year.

I’m from Hanover which is located in the middle, northern part of Germany. Although mainly people only know it either through its fairs or passing by with the train, it has much more to offer.

First of all, it is supposed to be the most green city in Germany with half a million people living on 200 km². Almost 12 percent are green area. These areas include the Maschsee with its Maschpark,  the Georgengärten, Herrenhäuser Gärten and the Eilenriede (see pictures).

Maschsee

Here you can inlineskate, bike or run around the lake or even sail on it. In the summertime there is also the “Maschseefest” with many different stands and music. It is a hand-made lake.

Herrenhäuser Gärten

During the summer time there is a big international firework competition. The gardens are the heritage of the Kings of Hanover.

Georgengärten

Here many Hannoveranians come all year round to relax because it is open to anyone. Also many students sit here and have get-togethers because it is right next to the university.

There are also many fun activities throughout the year you can do, e.g. skate-by-night, visit the Hannover Zoo or the Weihnachtsmarkt during Christmas time, participate at the Hannover Marathon or cheer for the soccer team “Hannover 96” which play in the Bundesliga.

Hannover Zoo

Fans of Hannover 96

Weihnachtsmarkt in der Altstadt
Next to my homecountry, I have always felt connected to the US and am glad to get to know the western Northeast better with its beautiful landscapes and great outdoor activities. So far I only had the chance to get to know the South Jersey area better because I stayed there for half year at high school, as well as the New York and Pennsylvania area. I have the impression that Americans are always very friendly and open towards strangers, especially people from Europe. You will often meet someone who has German relatives or even visited some part of the country.

Due to the fact that I’m interested in different cultures, especially American, I decided to come and spend more time in the US. At my home university I’m almost done with my Master of Education in English and Exercise Science and after that I want to become a teacher. After I heard of the possibility of working as a teaching assistant in an English-speaking country, the idea never left me, and now I’m actually working as the German language assistant at Willamette University! I’m looking forward to meeting more people and exchanging ideas about the German and American culture.

If you are interested more in the German culture and might even consider yourself to be “German”, here is a short quiz you can take to know how German you really are. Have fun with it.

http://www.thegermanquiz.com/

Auf Wiedersehen und bis bald,
Eure

Karo(line)