Hello lovely readers of WWN, this is Melody from Australia!

I have encountered many people who are dismayed that I do not greet them with “G’day”, a salutation you will not hear from anyone under the age of 65 back home. I do apologise for not adhering to this Aussie stereotype, but do not panic, I do use “mate” very abundantly!

I’m from Perth, in Western Australia (sorry, not from Sydney, not everyone can live at 42 Wallaby Way).  Like most of the Australian state capitals, Perth is situated on the coast, automatically making all residents full-blown beach babes.

Cottesloe Beach aka Cott

I study at the stunning University of Western Australia alongside the Swan River. UWA has educated some of Australia’s greatest legends such as Bob Hawke, who set the Guinness World record for drinking 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds and also happened to be our 23rd Prime Minister! Click here to see the former PM take a beer from a random cricket watcher and demolish it heroically, almost 50 years after he set the record.

Whilst many people associate Australia as the land of dangerous beasts, our university still maintains a bit of domesticated class with our family of peacocks and peahens. These creatures are truly majestic, loved by all, until mating season aligns with exam season. Doing an exam whilst the mating call rings across the exam hall should count for extra credit!

Eddy in the Arts Quarter

I’ve been at Willamette as an exchange student for a month, and I’m already having an absolute blast. Every student who I’ve met has gone above and beyond in order to make me feel comfortable. Because of this, I’ve only felt homesick once and it was only when I heard Vance Joy in a hotel elevator. Totally understandable!

Of course ya gal tried to take a selfie with one of the peahens

Part of me wants to express serious concern about the 21+ drinking age, but also another part of me is worried that I will further perpetuate the stereotype of Australians as low-key alcoholics. However, the college students here still manage to have banging events and have taught me how to “drop it like it’s hot” better than Snoop Dogg ever could.

I can’t end this article without giving a shout out to my love and life, Target. We have Target back home, but one cannot compare the two. I will never be able to enter an Australian Target, until they too, start selling hot popcorn in store.

Until next time,

Melody

1. 1 Comment(s)

2.   By dili optim on Mar 8, 2015 | Reply

Thank you for another informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such a perfect way? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.