Are You Afraid of the Dar… of the Ballot Box ?

One of my passions in life–after eating cereals all day long on Sundays–is watching trailers. They are, I think, the best part of the movies themselves. In no time, they have to convince you to jump off your sofa and run to the movie theater. I believe that the more plausible the feelings delivered, the more likely you are to watch the complete version.

So, as I was saying, I was peacefully on my computer, watching another trailer–the Gone Girl trailer. For those who have seen it, the character embodied by Ben Affleck is suspected to have orchestrated the disappearance of his wife. In the background, you can hear the voice of his missing wife telling their story from the honeymoon stage to the phase in which she says that she doesn’t feel safe in her own house because she doesn’t trust her own husband anymore. And at that point, the situation echoed in me.

“I am threatened by my own husband”

No, I don’t have any husband who would want to kill me (yet). What called my attention was that lack of trust towards an entity that is originally supposed to protect you and fight for you. Still have no clue of what I am talking about? Here’s a hint, if you go to France and try to ask the youth what they think about politics, most of us will just admit that we don’t know a lot about it. Not because it is not interesting (hum), because it is cultural. As sad as it can appear, most of us have been raised in that typical skeptical French tradition. We’ve learned to consider the government as a sort of killjoy, an entity that will almost always be wrong whatever it undertakes.

"Workers, Students, By being United we will Defeat them"

“Workers, Students, By being United we will Defeat them”

It all started with a historical power struggle that our parents witnessed/participted in at the end of the 1960s in France. We now call it “Mai 68” in reference to the date it all happened: May 1968. Basically, after more than a decade of prosperity, France had a period of rebellion on few different levels–cultural, economic, political. A great number of demonstrations occurred everywhere in France. For the first time, workers and students united against a government that was excessively traditional, capitalist and imperialist. What the demonstrators were demanding was the “libéralisation des moeurs” (the liberalization of customs.) It is important to realize the proportion this event quickly took on a national scale, as Paris was not the only city touched by these disruptions. The French people that had been under President Charles de Gaulle’s strict control for so many years were now going through their adolescent crisis. In some aspects, we can see these events as a new period of Enlightenment since the crowd wanted everybody to think for themselves. They aimed at upsetting the traditional patriarchal system in which no individual freedom was clearly allowed.

"Be young and be quiet"

“Be young and be quiet”

"Don't be a sheep"

“Don’t be a sheep”

Since Mai 68, new resolutions had been adopted and I strongly believe that the contestatory behavior which was the motor of this past rebellion can still be observed nowadays in almost each French citizen. That “Mister-know-it-all” gene we inherited might be the reason why we think politicians are all liars. In this context, there’s no way that we would go and vote for another liar, right? Since a few years ago, the number of people–especially young ones!–who vote during elections has been appallingly decreasing. We are less and less interested in these national issues. But be careful, French youth, you should now be afraid of letting other people control your country. You should be afraid of falling into the same pattern your parents/grandparents fought against. Don’t let anybody decide on the future of your country. Vote!

"Don't let anybody choose in your place. - I am not invested in politics. My dog is gonna choose for me."

“Don’t let anybody choose in your place.
– I am not invested in politics. My dog will choose for me.”

Hmm I made up my mind! I will start voting from now on! 😉

1. 8 Comment(s)

2.   By psn code generator online no survey or download on May 4, 2015 | Reply

Great site. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few paks ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thanks on your effort!

3.   By adfly auto clicker on May 7, 2015 | Reply

whoah thіs weblog іs fantabulous i really
    lіke Reading үoսr articles. Continue up tҺe goоd աork!
    Ύou knoԝ, many persons ɑre lοoking roսnd for this informɑtion, үoս
    саn serve tҺem ցreatly.

4.   By PSN CODE GENERATOR on May 7, 2015 | Reply

I just couldn’t leave your web site prior to suggesting
    that I actually loved the standard information a person provide for your visitors?
    Is going to be again ceaselessly in order to investigate cross-check new posts

5.   By direct download pc games on May 7, 2015 | Reply

It’s in aim οf fact a skillful and helpful part oof info.
    Ӏ’m Һappy tҺаt ƴߋu shared out tɦis սseful info with us.
    Plеase kеep us up to date stamp like this. Tɦank you foг communion.

6.   By ps3 free psn codes for games on May 9, 2015 | Reply

That is гeally fascinating, Ƴοu’re an overly skilled blogger.
    I’vе joined уour rss feed аnd loоk ahead tο seeking mοгe οf yoսr fantastic post.
    Аlso, I’ve shared your web site iin mү social networks

7.   By release log on May 12, 2015 | Reply

First-class military post. I սsed tօ be checking constantlү tҺis web log ɑnd Ι’m impressed!

Super helpful information ѕpecifically tɦe closure phase 🙂 I concern fօr ѕuch information a good deal.
    I waѕ lookіng fοr thiѕ cеrtain info foг a long prison term.
    Thanks and ƅеst of fortune.

8.   By What To Do If You Lost Your Twitter Password on May 12, 2015 | Reply

Pretty nice post. Ӏ just stumbled upon youur weblog аnd wished to say that I hаve
    really enjoyed browsing ƴour blog posts. Іn any case I will bе subscribing to ƴοur rss
    feed аnd I hope you write agaіn ѕoon!

9.   By site on May 13, 2015 | Reply

е
    I like the valuable infοrmation ƴou supply on үoսr articles.

I wіll bookmark youг weblog аnd taƙe a look at agaіn hеre frequently.

I’m someѡhɑt certaіn I’ll be informed many new stiff
    proper right here! Ԍood luck foг the fօllowing!