header image

Chinese Moon Festival-中秋节

Posted by: nshevche | September 21, 2010 | 1 Comment |

Hi,

I’m the Chinese language assistant,Jia. I’ve met most of you who chose the Chinese class this semester. I hope you’ve had fun in our class during September.

Here comes the Moon Festival, which is also known as Mid-Autumn Festival.It is held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar, which is usually around late September or early October in the Gregorian calendar. It is a date that parallels the autumnal equinox of the solar calendar, when the moon is supposedly at its fullest and roundest. The traditional food of this festival is the moon-cake, of which there are many different varieties.

This year,Moon Festival is on Sept. 22nd.Tomorrow,you can try to watch the moon and to find a rabbit which is called the Jade Rabbit in it.In the legend, three fairy sages transformed themselves into pitiful old men, and begged for food from a fox, a monkey, and a hare. The fox and the monkey both had food to give to the old men, but the hare, empty-handed, jumped into a blazing fire to offer his own flesh instead. The sages were so touched by the hare’s sacrifice and act of kindness that they let him live in the Moon Palace, where he became the “Jade Rabbit”.

Chinese people value this festival very much.They think it’s the perfect time for the whole family to gather together and have a dinner to enjoy the happiness.Here is a song called *The Bright Moon Will Bring My Love to You*(明月千里寄相思).I hope you will enjoy it just as I do.

under: Uncategorized

Responses -

haha… I loved this song when I was in elementary school.

Categories