header image

A Journey of a Thousand Miles

Posted by: zgarrett | May 27, 2011 Comments Off |

On Wednesday I leave for China and I won’t be returning for over a year. I have been planning to study in China ever since High School when I first began learning Chinese. Last Summer I got my first opportunity to visit China when I participated in a post-session studying debate and sustainability at Xiamen University. During the month and a half I was in China I also visited Shanghai and Suzhou to sight see.
I wanted to spend this Summer travelling around the country, since my last visit was so short. With this goal in mind I came up with a research project and proposed it for a grant from my University. The project I came up with is a comparative study of Kung Fu and Wushu focusing on the preservation of traditional elements. I will be conducting this research through June and into early July, and will be travelling to Shanghai, Beijing and Shenyang.
After the research I don’t really have any plans other than continued travel. I am hoping to visit Mongolia during this time. At the end of August I will go to Nanjing, where I will be studying during the Fall and Spring Semesters.
I am also planning on visiting South Korea, possibly for the World Expo, and Japan after I finish studying at Nanjing University.

If you want to read more about Zack’s study abroad, check out his blog: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/zhihe/1/tpod.html

under: Uncategorized

Categories