Tellus

Tellus: (tel’us), n. 1. [Latin] earth, soil, and the land; a country; the world. 2. a collection of Willamette University student’s insights, stories, photos and thoughts from their experiences studying abroad.

February 2010
    « Oct   Oct »
     123456
    78910111213
    14151617181920
    21222324252627
    28  

• No categories

Sunrise at 10am

When I woke up it was still dark, but the lightness of the snow made it seem so much brighter than it was. At this time of year, where I was living, there were only 3 hours of sunlight per day. I gathered my warmest clothing, bundled myself up and walked out to a bridge over a frozen lake. The temperature must have been -15C, just as it had been all week. I waited and watched the sky.
In Sweden, I learned to appreciate how beautiful the sky can really be, a fact I often neglect having been raised here in Oregon where the weather is often gray and drizzly. This sunrise, which happened at the end of my experience with less than a week before I left the country, was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. The vibrant colors rippled across a sea of clouds, expanding in every direction as the sun slowly rose over the horizon. One of the most vivid nature experiences of my life, this sunrise etched an unforgettable image into my head that could only be partially captured by any photo.

1. 2 Comment(s)

2.   By Free iPhone 4 on Jun 7, 2010 | Reply

Like your page, good reading, thanks.

3.   By Mauro Patenaude on Aug 21, 2010 | Reply

Need to mention, that out of all time I’ve spent on-line, viewing aticles, I’ve never read one as to the point and well written as this one, I don’t by and large comment on posts though in your case I felt the need to make an exception, this really is honestly class work and fully opposite to the drivel, which i spend lots of my time online, reading. Thanks a lot for bothering and expending your effort to present your readers with a first class commentary. I anticipate reading far more of your work, once more thanks. Jasmine