Tellus

Tellus: (tel’us), n. 1. [Latin] earth, soil, and the land; a country; the world. 2. a collection of Willamette University student’s insights, stories, photos and thoughts from their experiences studying abroad.

Predeparture

So I’m not even sure how this blog works at the moment but this is my attempt to post something.

It’s Monday the 22nd and I have only 5 days before I fly to Spain. In usual fashion there are a billion things I need to do but haven’t started so these next few days will be a trip. I actually just got back from Honduras the other day where I spent a week on a church sponsored service trip. It was amazing. Too many stories to tell right now but I may interweave some of them with my future experiences in Spain so that I can provide a contrast between two very different Spanish-speaking countries. This quick trip to Honduras also provided me with some insight into the immersion process. I experienced going to another country where my native language, views and culture were foreign; I was the minority. Never have I felt so different; the white kid who’s 6 foot 4 and speaks Spanish with a heavy American accent doesn’t blend in with the crowd. I have a greater understanding and appreciation of the challenges that face immigrants. The language barrier is only the tip of the iceberg. So now I’m expecting a somewhat more humbling experience in Spain, or at least for the first month or so. It’s gonna be awesome and tons of fun, but I also realize it’s not going to be a walk in the park.