Tellus

Tellus: (tel’us), n. 1. [Latin] earth, soil, and the land; a country; the world. 2. a collection of Willamette University student’s insights, stories, photos and thoughts from their experiences studying abroad.

A Royal Occasion

Hyde Park during Will and Kate's Wedding

During my semester in London I was lucky enough to experience a great historical moment, the Royal Wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton. At first I felt like the wedding festivities were overblown just to make money on the plethora of Will and Kate merchandise on every street corner. I wanted no part of it! At the last minute, I decided to jump on the band wagon and go to Hyde Park for the ceremony.

I woke up at 5 am to catch a double decker  night bus to Hyde Park where I set up blankets with my friends to reserve our spot in front of one of the drive-in size big screens where we could watch the wedding live from Westminster Abbey.

Although this photo may not be the greatest, it captures the moment very well. Despite the fact that we were all freezing on this grey morning, everyone, all 200,000 of us at Hyde Park, were sharing the moment together.

Looking back, I am so glad that I did not miss this opportunity. For me, this captures the essence of study abroad: trying new things, stepping out of your comfort zone, sharing experiences with people, and making memories that will last a lifetime.