Tellus

Tellus: (tel’us), n. 1. [Latin] earth, soil, and the land; a country; the world. 2. a collection of Willamette University student’s insights, stories, photos and thoughts from their experiences studying abroad.

Exploring New Territory

Heading of to New Zealand was probably the most terrifying and exciting thing I have ever done. All the was on the opposite side of the globe, New Zealand presented opportunities to explore new territories, both physical and emotional. So much of the country was available to hike and travel that most of the time I was overwhelmed with the possibilities. The attached picture pretty much sums up my experience on the Southern Hemisphere. Here, I had hiked down to Tunnel Beach with some of my closet friends a week before leaving for home. We decided to pose at the edge of a cliff overlooking the southern coastline of the country. If we were to travel further south, the first landmass we would approach would be Antartica. For some reason I found that mind boggling. I was that far away from home. The beach was stunning, as was almost every landscape in New Zealand. The picture represents my new found friendships as well as my journey to push myself to the edge. It was an amazing experience and every time I revisit this picture, I am reminded of that life changing trip.

Standing on the edge of Tunnel Beach