Hallo alle zusammen!

My name is Maximilian Nohr and I’m from Germany. I grew up in a small town called Flensburg, which is located in the most northern state of Germany, Schleswig-Holstein. Flensburg is known for its beer “Flens” and for being the city in which the “Kraftfahrtbundesamt” is located (they are the people who will fine you if you do anything wrong on a german road). But there is more to Flensburg than bureaucracy and beer. the city lies at the baltic sea so we have beaches and can go swimming in summer, even though our summers aren’t all that warm or long. In combination with our beautiful harbour and old-town, this is why Flensburg is a popular region for tourism.

No matter how much I love Flensburg though, I decided to apply to different universities across Germany, which is how I ended up in Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, where I study a combination of economics and mathematics for 2 years now, before I came here to Willamette via a state exchange program between Baden-Württemberg and Oregon.

When I arrived in Oregon the first thing that really surprised me was how nice everyone here is. Simply walking through Portland, more than once I got a “Have a nice day” or a “How are you doing” thrown in my direction: that always put a smile on my face. Generally I have the impression, that people over here are a lot more open to conversation. This sounds a little harsh, but in Germany most people usually keep to themselves.

Another surprise to me was the weather. Everyone that I talked to before my year abroad had one word to say about Oregon: rain. I didn’t mind that at all, Northern Germany is famous for it’s bad weather too, so I expected to feel right at home. Once here I found a little different situation: it was hotter for weeks than it is hardly even in the best summer back at home.

I already mentioned how everyone here was a lot more open than in Germany, this also makes a big differences concerning my experiences here at the university. Classes of only around 20 people discussing the topic and getting involved is not what I’m used to from home. Most german universities you sit in an auditorium with 100+ other people and mostly listen to what your professor has to say.

I have only been here a couple of weeks now but it feels like I made the right decision and I’m looking forward to the rest of my time here at Willamette.

Bis bald, Max!

The "Nordermarkt" in my hometown Flensburg

Flensburgs Harbour

Solitüde beach; the landmass at the horizon is Denmark

University of Mannheim where I study Math & Econ

1. 1 Comment(s)

2.   By Roland Nohr on Oct 3, 2014 | Reply

Das hast du sehr schön gemacht mein Sohn 🙂